For the best experienceDownload the Mobile App
App Store Play Store
Oklahoma Education Dept. sues atheist group trying to halt prayer in schools
Oklahoma Education Dept. sues atheist group trying to halt prayer in schools
Oklahoma Education Dept. sues atheist group trying to halt prayer in schools

Published on: 04/03/2025

This news was posted by Eco-Friendly Homes

Go To Business Place

Description

By Michael Gryboski, Editor Thursday, April 03, 2025Twitter
Oklahoma Superintendent of Public Instruction Ryan Walters speaking at a June 2024 press conference.Oklahoma Superintendent of Public Instruction Ryan Walters speaking at a June 2024 press conference. | Screengrab: YouTube/tulsaworld

The Oklahoma State Department of Education has filed a complaint seeking to stop the efforts of a prominent atheist legal organization to force a public school district to halt its voluntary prayer practice.

State officials filed the complaint against the Wisconsin-based Freedom From Religion Foundation on Monday in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Oklahoma.

At issue is a cease-and-desist demand letter FFRF sent to Achille Public Schools last December over a policy that allows students to say prayers during morning announcements.

Subscribe to get daily/weekly email with the top stories (plus special offers!) from The Christian Post. Be the first to know.

"The Plaintiffs will have an irreparable injury, should the Defendant be permitted to continue its threatening and harassing behavior. By contrast, the Defendant cannot show any harm whatsoever, should an injunction be granted," reads the department's legal filing. 

"The Plaintiffs request that this Court issue an injunction enjoining the Defendants from usurping the constitutional and statutory authorities delegated to the State Superintendent and the State Department of Education."

State Superintendent Ryan Walters vowed in a statement that "Oklahoma will never be bullied by radical, out-of-state atheists who use intimidation and harassment against kids."

"The Freedom From Religion Foundation has no stake in our schools, no authority over our communities, and absolutely no right to trample on the First Amendment," Walters said, according to the Oklahoma City-based KOCO News 5. "Their threats are nothing more than a desperate attempt to erase faith from public life, and we will fight them at every turn."

FFRF Legal Director Patrick Elliott called the state's complaint "frivolous" in a statement Monday. 

"FFRF, as a defender of our Constitution, expects to continue our important work in Oklahoma regardless of frivolous lawsuits by Walters," stated Elliott.

FFRF Co-President Annie Laurie Gaylor called Walters "a loose cannon bent on destroying secular public education in Oklahoma."

"We are proud of FFRF's record of support for true religious freedom and the rights of conscience of a captive audience of schoolchildren to be free from government-sponsored indoctrination in our public schools," she continued.

Last year, FFRF pressure successfully halted a practice of allowing Christian prayers at a Christmas play held at a Depew, Oklahoma-based public elementary school. 

Last month, the Oklahoma Supreme Court temporarily blocked the state education department from purchasing 55,000 Bibles for public schools. Walters announced last year that biblical studies would be emphasized in public schools' social studies curriculum. He told The Christian Post last July it was "of the utmost importance that our kids get a full understanding of American history."

"Obviously, that includes the most read book in American history, the most purchased book in American history, the most cited book in the 17th and 18th centuries: the Bible," Walters said. 

"We're not going to allow left-wing extremists and the teachers union to keep the Bible from schools in its historical context. So, we're very proud to be the first state to put the Bible back into classrooms and make sure that our kids understand its impact in American history."

Follow Michael Gryboski on Twitter or Facebook

News Source : https://www.christianpost.com/news/oklahoma-education-dept-sues-atheist-group-over-school-prayer.html

Other Related News

Ariz. man found guilty of hoax bomb threat targeting 4 churches
Ariz. man found guilty of hoax bomb threat targeting 4 churches

04/04/2025

By Michael Gryboski Editor Friday April 04 2025Getty ImagesExkaliburAn Arizona man was f...

Christian woman convicted over sign offering to talk, deemed in violation of abortion clinic buffer zone law
Christian woman convicted over sign offering to talk, deemed in violation of abortion clinic buffer zone law

04/04/2025

By Christian Today Friday April 04 2025Livia Tossici-Bolt 62 R who held a sign reading h...

Episcopal bishop denounces arrest of Turkish doctoral student accused of supporting Hamas
Episcopal bishop denounces arrest of Turkish doctoral student accused of supporting Hamas

04/04/2025

By Michael Gryboski Editor Friday April 04 2025Close circuit television footage shows Ru...

Baylor University's FM72 Brings Students Together to Seek God for Revival: 'Things Happen When We Pray'
Baylor University's FM72 Brings Students Together to Seek God for Revival: 'Things Happen When We Pray'

04/04/2025

Theres no doubt that a spiritual movement is taking place across college campuses In almo...

Adults happiest when spending time with kids: Institute for Family Studies analysis
Adults happiest when spending time with kids: Institute for Family Studies analysis

04/04/2025

By Ryan Foley Christian Post Reporter Friday April 04 2025iStockomgimagesAmerican adults...

ShoutoutGive Shoutout
500/500